BBQ sauce….The undisputed king of all American style sauces that has claimed thousands of garments, millions of napkins, and caked an army of fingernails. And we still can’t get enough. How could we ever be mad at something adorable. I mean tasty. Well, the kitchen of The Iowa Gallivant has a kitchen that can get this tangy, sweet, spicy, peppery, and just plain awesome condiment. We call on the Kalona Brewing Company and another great ally in our Iowa Recipe Quest.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: Two hours Yield: 3 cups sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1 heaping cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers
- 1/4 cup of the banana pepper juice from the jar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried garlic
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 can Kalona Brewing Company Honey Kolsch Style Ale
- Salt and black pepper to taste
See that Starfrit pan!! That’s our hero for the long cooking process that this BBQ sauce calls for. Combined all ingredients into the Starfrit pan, whisk, bring to a high simmer, and then turn down to low and cook uncovered for two hours. We also had our pork butt roasting in the oven at this time. You need to have a couple of the Free Ranges while this is stewing. Make that happen!
The Starfit pan helped with some great BBQ sauce and it didn’t stick! But what did we serve with this amazing condiment? Well, get ready for this!
Sweet Hy-Waiian rolls, brat-burgers, sauteed cabbage, roast pulled pork, and grilled ham. These get you this…….
Be sure to read more about our kitchen adventures in Iowa Recipe Quest!
Thanks for reading! -Team Goodvin